Depression is a mood disorder that can develop in anyone and at any age, more so in older age. It is characterized by many symptoms and signs such as feelings of loneliness, sadness, irritability, negative thoughts, negative emotions, and disturbances in sexual health.
Depression can lead to sexual problems like low libido or sexual drive, loss of interest in sexual activities, low energy levels, low self-esteem, and inability to experience the sexual pleasures.
What Is Sexual Dysfunction?
Depression and sexual dysfunction usually co-exist as depression leads to sexual health problems and sexual dysfunction leads to or aggravates depression, it’s a vicious cycle!! Most common sexual dysfunctions in men are related to Erections and Ejaculation problems. Depression may lead to these problems or aggravate an already existing problem.
What Causes Sexual Dysfunction in A Male?
- Psychiatric disorders
- Genetic problems
- Medical conditions or disorders
- Stress/Stressful situations
- External factors like drugs, environmental factors etc.
What Is Ejaculation?
Ejaculation is a process during sexual activity where the erect and rigid penis i.e. male sex organs causes the release of semen due to rhythmic contractions of muscles around the urethra.
Ejaculation disorders cause anxiety, low self-esteem, guilt and feeling of failure to perform sexual act which can overall lead to depression.
Types of Ejaculatory Problems
1. Pre-Mature Ejaculation
An Ejaculation that occurs before the sexual climax, maybe during foreplay or just when the penetration of the penis takes place which causes dissatisfaction and frustration to the man and his partner.
2. Delayed Ejaculation
Inability to Ejaculate during sexual intercourse at the climax, and ejaculates after the intercourse which causes issues of orgasm and infertility that may lead to low sex drive and lack of interest in sexual activity.
3. No Ejaculation
Failure to Ejaculate and reach orgasm causing severe sexual dysfunction in men.
4. Retrograde Ejaculation
As Ejaculation occurs, semen passes in a retrograde fashion into the urinary bladder as against passing forward through urethra. This can happen due to anatomical, neurogenic, or pharmacological factors.
How Should Depression and Associated Sexual Problems Be Treated?
Counselling – Plays a major part in the therapy.
Men should not feel shy or guilty regarding Ejaculatory dysfunction disorders and approach a medical professional for help and sexual counseling so that he can get relief soon and enjoy his consensual sex life. Good sexual health means good health and well-being.
Medical or Surgical Interventions – Any medical condition or surgical disorder causing sexual disturbances and depression should be treated. Antidepressant drugs or any other medications being taken must be reviewed by the Physician.
Natural Ways to Reduce Sexual Dysfunction
- Eat Foods Rich in Zinc – As it increases immunity and production of male hormone testosterone essential for good sexual health.
- Ginger – can increase the blood flow to the penile muscles and enhance controlled ejaculation.
- Ashwagandha (Indian Ginseng) – An evergreen herb grown in India and used as a natural treatment. It has the ability to improve the hormone testosterone level, and improves sexual functions, also reduces stress and mood changes, leading to a well-being feeling.
That said, it does not mean that you just buy it on the internet and eat any quantities that you like. Remember that it may not be absorbed adequately into your blood if not combined with substances that increase its intestinal absorption.
Also keep in mind the quality and purity aspects too. Trust only quality products and advice from qualified people.
- Pelvic floor exercises and Yoga – helps in strengthening and relaxing the pelvic muscles giving you greater control and a positive impact on your sexual health.
- Stop smoking and taking excess alcohol.
- Always consult a qualified Andrologist or Sexologist for diagnosis and proper management.
Dear Men, be aware and don’t fall for any misinformation on the internet. Have faith in advice of qualified medical professionals and take care of your health.
Yes, it needs effort, needs motivation, and needs patience. Remember we don’t live in Disneyland, so don’t expect overnight magic.