If you struggle to sleep at night or wake up in the middle of it, you are indeed acquainted with the world of insomnia and melatonin. In the current generation, sleep is surely difficult to come by. This has led to the birth of an entire generation of melatonin supplements in different forms.
Sleep Cycle and Melatonin
Melatonin is a hormone released by the pineal gland in your brain on exposure to darkness. Our body is trained to produce this hormone naturally during the evening and night. This helps us sleep. When day breaks and light outside increases, melatonin production ceases, keeping us alert and awake. This day and night sleep cycle is also called the circadian rhythm, and melatonin is the custodian of this rhythm. But, what about people for whom sleep is difficult to come by?
Melatonin supplements are widely used and prescribed to people who struggle with sleep disorders– insomnia, irregular sleep cycle, jet lag, etc. If you are one of them, you may have been given a melatonin prescription. But, with so many different forms of this supplement available, how does one pick? This dilemma particularly arises with melatonin pills and gummies.
Let’s decode which is better – sleep gummies or sleeping pills, in this article!
Sleep gummies are melatonin supplements available in the form of candy or gummies. They are usually chewable, tasty, and easy to swallow. While a majority of sleep gummies contain sugar, sugar-free sleep gummies are also available today. Few brands of sleep gummies are enriched with vitamin B, vitamin C and E, along with herbal extracts to induce deeper, better sleep.
Gummies are popular for their obvious benefits that include:
- Good taste
- Ample flavour options
- Helps you sleep better and faster
- Since they are chewable, they get the melatonin straight into the bloodstream, making them quick-acting melatonin supplements
- Safe and non-addictive in nature
- Useful to induce sleep in short-term events like jet lag, emotional stress, after a surgery, exam stress, etc.
Chewing on sleep gummies are sure to make you sleep well and wake up refreshed. However, they do have some disadvantages such as:
- They have added or artificial sugar
- Due to their good taste, you may end up consuming more than the recommended dosage
- They are commonly filled with colours, artificial flavours, binders and other additives that can clog your digestive system
- Can irritate your digestive system leading to indigestion and other issues
The best way to consume sleep gummies is to chew on 1-2 gummies at least 20-60 mins before you plan to fall asleep. It is a good practice to stay away from screened devices at least 30 minutes before you get into bed. Take only the required amount of gummies prescribed by your doctor.
While sleep gummies are popular and definitely effective to treat sleep disorders, many doctors prefer to prescribe sleeping pills. Reason? Sleep gummies have added artificial ingredients that may irritate the digestive system and reduce serotonin production. Serotonin is the precursor of the hormone melatonin and is imperative for sleep.
[ Also Read: Role of Fiber in Digestion and Bowel Health ]
Both sleeping pills and gummies are fast-acting and induce sleep within 30 minutes of taking them. However, since the pills and capsules have a vegetable or gelatin capsule, they are easier on your gut than gummies loaded with additives and artificial ingredients.
Some advantages of sleeping pills are:
- They have a longer shelf-life
- Tasteless and no added sugars or additives
- Easy to divide into prescribed or recommended dosage
The only drawback that sleeping pills have is that they might be difficult to swallow and they need to be taken with water, unlike chewable gummies.
With sleep disorders being so prevalent, the number of melatonin supplements is higher than ever. If you struggle with sleep or wake up groggy every morning due to lack of it, consult your doctor about the same. Explore a wide range of sleep supplements– pills, gummies and more, right here on For Men!
Also Read the Related Articles:
- How to Choose the Best Sleeping Gummies in India?
- Why Formen Sleep+ Gummies are the Best Choice as Compared to Other Sleep Gummies?
- How to Get Sleep Naturally and Peacefully? – 12 Simple and Interesting Tips