Have you ever visited a pharmacy and got confused with the right product that offers you your daily dose of vitamins and minerals? Well, you are not alone! Before you find the best supplements for men, you must know which vitamins and minerals are required for men daily and how to consume them in adequate amounts. Before we get to them, we must understand a few terminologies that are often used when it comes to the daily requirement of vitamins and minerals.
Understanding Daily Nutrient Requirements
Most daily nutrient supplement products mention details like RDA, AI, and UL.
RDA or Recommended Dietary Allowance and AI or Adequate Intake are the amounts of nutrients like vitamins and minerals that you need to eat every day to stay healthy and well-nourished. These values differ for each nutrient and with age and gender and of course are different for different countries.
UL or tolerable Upper Intake Level is the maximum amount of vitamins and minerals you can consume in a day without the risk of overdose or side effects.
Daily Vitamins and Minerals For Men in India
Regardless of their age, men must eat a nutritious, well-balanced diet every day. A healthy diet keeps your body functioning optimally and prevents cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes, different types of cancer, and even mental health issues. Your diet also needs to meet your physical activity and requirements while fitting in with your lifestyle.
To do so, you must consume adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals daily. You can get these from your diet as well as from nutrient supplements available. Here are some daily vitamins and minerals that are a must for men in India!
- Calcium: Calcium is needed for healthy teeth and bones, muscle repair, and growth. Men have a recommended dietary intake of 1000 mg/day of calcium per day as per ICMR guidelines. ( Indian Council of Medical Research). Most men usually get their daily requirement of calcium, either through food or nutritional supplements. Vit D is however needed for Calcium absorption into the body.
- Iron: Adequate iron consumption is often reiterated to women but not so much to men. Inadequate iron consumption can result in anemia. Men must get around 19 mg per day of iron to ensure good hemoglobin levels. Other nutrients like B12, Folic acid, Copper, Vitamin A etc are also needed to build hemoglobin.
- Magnesium: Did you know that men consume only 80% of their daily required dosage of magnesium? Magnesium is a vital mineral in the body and is involved in over 300 processes in the body. It’s very much needed for good mind, brain, heart, GUT and sleep functions.
- Potassium: Many men consume less potassium. Potassium helps lower sodium levels in the body, thereby keeping your blood pressure levels under normal limits. While you can get your daily potassium requirement from foods like potatoes and bananas, you can also cover up your deficiency with supplements.
- Iodine: Iodine is needed by your thyroid gland to produce T3 and T4 thyroid hormones. These hormones maintain a healthy metabolism, and insufficient intake can lead to fatigue, restlessness, and weight gain. You can get an adequate amount of iodine from food sources like yoghurt and eggs. You can consult your doctor for additional supplements if you are falling short of your daily intake.
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A is an essential fat-soluble nutrient needed for the growth and development of the body. It also improves vision, immunity and ensures a healthy reproductive system in both men and women. The recommended daily intake of vitamin A in adult men is 1000 μg/ day. You can get it from milk and eggs, green leafy vegetables, orange-coloured foods like oranges and carrots.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is a powerful fat-soluble vitamin that is synthesized by the body on exposure to the sun. It is needed for reducing inflammation in the body, increasing calcium absorption and strengthening bones and teeth. Vitamin D also plays an important role in spermatogenesis in men, and its deficiency can cause infertility.
[ Read: Amazing Benefits of Vitamin D Sprays ]
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant and protects the body from free radical damage. In men, vitamin E plays an important role in preventing sperm damage, an increasingly popular cause of male infertility. Vitamin E protects sperm from oxidative damage.
- Vitamin K: This fat-soluble vitamin is needed for blood clotting and also regulates blood pressure. The daily recommended intake of vitamin K for adult men is 55 μg/day , and you can get it from foods like broccoli, parsley, spinach and other dark leafy greens. If you are not getting the required amount, consult your doctor.
- Vitamin B12: Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin and is needed for normal red blood cell formation. It also helps in DNA structure formation and maintains a healthy nervous system. For adult men, the recommended daily intake of vitamin B12 is 2.5 μg/day. Though foods like dairy, eggs, and meat are good sources of vitamin B12, men can be deficient in the vitamin. Many nutrient supplements contain vitamin B12 to help cover up your deficiency.
[ Read: Amazing Health Benefits of Vitamin B ]
- Vitamin C: Also called ascorbic acid, vitamin C is essential for the body’s wear and tear repair, wound healing, maintaining bone and cartilage and immunity. Adult men require 80 mg of vitamin C per day, and they can get this vitamin by consuming citrus fruits, green vegetables, potatoes, and tomatoes. Vitamin C is also needed for healthy sperm as it protects the sperm DNA from free radical damage.
Men of all ages must eat a nutritional diet and consume adequate amounts of all food groups and nutrients. Many vitamins and minerals are needed for the body’s normal functioning on a daily basis. While you can get these vitamins and minerals from the food you eat, there are many supplements that can help you cover up your intake.
Looking for nutritional supplements for daily use? Check out the vitamin and mineral supplements available on ForMen.health!