Male pattern baldness is on the rise. Baldness, something that didn’t make an appearance till you were well in your 40s, is now a common problem in men in their 20s and 30s.
There are many reasons for early male pattern balding, including hormonal changes and stress. DHT is the main hormone that leads to male pattern baldness. DHT attaches itself to the scalp receptors and impairs the growth of hair. What starts with thinning hair and a receding hairline ends up in baldness.
So, what is DHT, and more importantly, are DHT blocking hair oils and supplements effective? Let’s check it out.
What is DHT?
Dihydrotestosterone or DHT is the male sex hormone, a kind of androgen. Androgen is one of the most potent hormones produced by the human body. As it can't be converted into oestrogen, experts consider DHT pure androgen.
The body produces DHT as a testosterone byproduct through the 5-alpha-reductase enzyme. Much like the other androgens, DHT plays a vital role in developing male characteristics. These include the genitalia, a deep voice, body, and facial hair.
What are DHT Blockers?
DHT blockers are products that reduce DHT levels in your body or may control the effects of DHT on the scalp. Products vary, and all DHT blockers don't necessarily have the same efficacy.
In a gist, DHT prevents the hair follicles from absorbing the nutrients. This leads to follicle shrinkage, and ultimately the hair stops growing. Natural remedies such as green tea or nettle have proven effective in blocking DHT.
Hair products such as minoxidil are an effective remedy because minoxidil, a vasodilator, widens the blood vessels and helps nutrients, blood, and oxygen reach the hair follicles thereby preventing hair cell death.
Best DHT Blocking Oils for Hair Loss
Is there any way by which DHT can be blocked naturally? Studies show that DHT blocking essential oils such as olive oil, rosemary oil, or pumpkin seed oil may block the 5-alpha reductase action.
So, which are the oils and supplements that effectively block DHT? Let’s check out our options.
1) Pumpkin Seed Oil
So, can pumpkin seed oil block DHT?
Studies have shown that Pumpkin seed oil has shown promising results where DHT inhibition is concerned. Long-term studies have also shown a considerable increase in hair growth after consuming around 400 mg of pumpkin seed oil over two years.
Pumpkin seeds contain a unique amino called cucurbitacin that improves hair growth. They also contain vitamin C, a nutrient that plays a vital role in hair growth.
How Pumpkin Seed Oil Supplements Help?
Sold in the form of oil gel capsules, pumpkin seed supplements can be taken orally. The dosage may vary depending on your product and the percentage of pumpkin seed oil.
By and large, a 1000mg capsule should do the trick. You can take around 1 to 2 capsules orally after meals around 3 times a day. But again, it depends on your product, and it's best to check the label before you consume them.
Topical Application of Pumpkin Seed Oil
The topical application of pumpkin seed oil improves hair growth. Pumpkin oil that has been warmed in a pan is ideal for better absorption. Your hair should be oiled with pumpkin seed oil around once a week. Frequent use can make your hair very oily.
How to Use Pumpkin Seed Oil for Hair?
- Warm your pumpkin seed oil in a double boiler. Conduct a heat test on the inside of your wrist before applying it to your hair.
- Wet your hair before you apply the oil. Then, massage the warm oil on your scalp with smooth and gentle strokes.
- Wrap a hot towel around your head to allow the pumpkin seed oil to work its magic.
- Wait for 20 minutes before you wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
2) Rosemary oil
Research shows that natural oils can help hair grow. While baldness is prevalent in men, some women too suffer from baldness. But Does Rosemary Oil Block DHT? Studies have shown that rosemary oil can reverse the balding pattern of men and women. And while research is still on, the benefits of rosemary oil as a preventive measure to block DHT from attaching to hormone receptors have been acknowledged.
How Rosemary Oil Helps Hair?
- Compared to the commonly used hair growth therapy using minoxidil, rosemary oil proved to be as effective.
- A great DHT blocking hair oil, studies also show that rosemary oil can effectively tackle other hair issues such as hair fall.
- Rosemary oil is said to treat fungi and bacteria effectively. If the hair loss is due to these infections, rosemary oil can help kill bacteria and fungi and encourage hair growth.
Point to Note: if you are using minoxidil for hair growth, it's advisable to consult your dermatologist before adding rosemary oil to your regimen.
Safety Precautions to be Taken While Using Rosemary Oil
Just because a substance is natural doesn't mean it can be used randomly. Here are a few tips you should know about before using rosemary oil.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should consult their general practitioner before using the product.
- When using the product, make sure that it doesn’t go into your eyes or mouth.
- It is yet not known whether rosemary oil is safe for kids. So avoid using the oil on your child’s scalp.
How to Use Rosemary Oil for Hair Loss?
There are many ways to incorporate rosemary oil into your hair care regimen.
Here are some tips:
- To make rosemary shampoo at home, take a mild shampoo and add around 10-12 drops of rosemary oil to it. Use it as you would your normal shampoo.
- Applying rosemary oil solution directly to your scalp can be very effective. Once you have applied the solution to your hair, leave it on your scalp for a few hours for better results.
- So, how do you make a rosemary oil solution? You can put a couple of drops of rosemary oil in a carrier oil such as coconut oil and then apply it to your scalp.
3) Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has been around for centuries. It has healing properties and is useful for many ailments. It has also been found beneficial for hair and scalp problems. Tea tree oil is a great DHT blocking hair oil, and as it has antiandrogenic properties, it is said to control hair loss and improve hair regrowth effectively.
How Tea Tree Oil Helps Hair?
- Due to its antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties, tea tree oil is good for the scalp as it can combat bacteria and fungi.
- It is a good DHT blocker and has improved follicular activity.
- Tackles issues such as dandruff.
- It's a great antiseptic and can heal the scalp.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Hair Growth?
- Because of its antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, tea tree oil removes toxins from the scalp, improving hair growth. It also increases blood circulation to the scalp, stimulating inactive hair follicles. It helps in the absorption of vital nutrients, further encouraging hair growth.
- For hair growth treatment, mix 1 drop of tea tree oil with 5 ml of carrier oil such as sesame seed oil or coconut oil. Massage the oil into your scalp gently. Leave it in your hair for a few hours and wash off the oil with a gentle shampoo.
4) Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is used as a cooking medium in many households. However, it is also used as a beauty aid. It is a good moisturizer for your skin and a great remedy for hair growth and baldness.
Coconut oil contains lauric acid, a substance that is said to block DHT production. By blocking DHT, a sex hormone that inhibits hair growth, coconut oil may improve hair growth and slow down balding.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Hair Growth?
- Heat a little coconut oil in a bowl.
- Take the warm coconut oil and gently massage it into the scalp, letting it seep into the follicles. Oil the hair strands as coconut oil is a great conditioner and moisturizer.
- Cover your hair with a warm towel and leave the oil in your hair for a few hours.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash your hair.
For controlling baldness, Coconut oil block DHT is a great choice.
[ Also Read: Camphor and Coconut Oil for Hair Growth ]
5) Olive Oil
Olive oil has always been lauded as a great beauty aid. So, does olive oil block DHT? Olive oil contains oleic acid, a known substance to inhibit 5-alpha reductase. 5-alpha reductase is an enzyme that helps the conversion of testosterone into DHT, a hormone that can lead to hair loss. Since oleic acid inhibits DHT, olive oil is said to reduce hair fall and improve new hair growth.
How to Use Olive Oil for Hair Growth?
Olive oil can be used in various ways to control hair fall. Here we have two interesting ways by which you can not only stop hair fall but also bring the lustre back into your tresses.
Egg and Olive Oil for Hair Loss
Olive oil contains vitamin E, minerals, fatty acids, and other essential nutrients needed for hair growth. It adds volume to the hair and improves hair growth.
Egg yolks are enriched with protein, an essential nutrient for strengthening the hair. Let’s check out the method:
- To 1 tbsp. of olive oil, add half a tbsp. of honey and egg yolk. Mix the ingredients thoroughly for uniform consistency. If needed, you can add a bit of coconut milk.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and leave it on for around 45 minutes.
- Rinse the hair and wash with a mild shampoo.
6) Peppermint Oil
According to research, peppermint oil has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and antimicrobial properties. It is also an anti-allergenic substance. Peppermint oil smells heavenly, and if you are wondering does peppermint oil block DHT, you can be sure it is great for hair loss and a great remedy for health issues such as irritable bowel syndrome.
A common marker used to identify the effect of a substance on hair follicles is sebum. This is because high levels of DHT activate the sebaceous glands, leading to more sebum. Research shows that peppermint oil reduces the quantity of sebum on the scalp when applied topically. This shows that peppermint oil is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. However, research is still on.
How to Use Peppermint Oil for Hair Growth?
Mix two drops of peppermint essential oil to a tsp of carrier oil. Massage it into your scalp and let it sit for a few minutes. Wash with a gentle shampoo and condition your hair. If you feel a burning sensation, wash your hair immediately.
Best DHT Blocking Supplements and Vitamins for Hair Loss
Since DHT supplements are standardized products, you can monitor the intake better. Supplements are a better bet than DHT blocking food items as cooking can decrease the efficacy.
1) Niacin or Vitamin B3:
Increases blood flow to the scalp.
Calcium deposits cause calcification in the scalp. Magnesium helps control the quantity of calcium in the body.
3) Vitamin B7 or Biotin:
Proteins are essential for good hair growth. Biotin is a protein synthesizer and helps formulate protein, a product not made by the human body.
4) Vitamin E:
Vitamin E has antioxidant properties and is beneficial for hair growth.
5) Zinc and Selenium:
These are protein synthesizers that make protein. In cases where the cause of hair loss is excess testosterone, these minerals are beneficial.
DHT blocking oils and supplements can drastically slow down hair loss and balding. However, though these products are natural, they are very potent and can cause harm if not used properly. Precise products that have been formulated in laboratories, such as minoxidil, can sometimes be a safer option.
Best Formen Hair Growth Products for Hair Growth
This super-duper hair growth kit will not disappoint if you want to tackle hair loss and baldness. The kit contains minoxidil, a vasodilator that improves the absorption of nutrients into your scalp. The derma roller in the kit is ideal for stimulating the hair follicles and starting them on their hair growth journey.
Hair Growth Super Kit Benefits
- Controls hair fall.
- Helps regrowth of hair with regular use.
- The derma roller has 540 titanium alloy microneedles that stimulate hair growth.
- The microneedles make it easier for the hair follicles to absorb nutrients.
This hair growth solution ticks all the boxes. Your journey to a full head of hair may become a reality! Minoxidil is a vasodilator solution that not only controls hair loss but also helps regrow hair when it is used regularly.
Minoxidil Topical Hair Growth Solution Benefits
- Minoxidil 5% solution is a vasodilator that controls hair fall.
- Helps regrowth of hair with regular use.
- Opens potassium channels by widening the blood vessels to provide blood, oxygen, and nutrients to the hair follicles.
- Prevents cell death.
This hand-held device stimulates hair growth and makes it easy for the hair follicles to absorb the nutrients it needs for hair growth. It also facilitates the absorption of topical solutions such as minoxidil for hair growth.
Derma Roller Benefits
- 540 titanium alloy micro needles to stimulate hair growth.
- Enables the absorption of hair serums and topical solutions for hair growth.
- The needles massage the scalp, increasing the rate of absorption.
- Does Masturbation Cause Hair Fall?
- How Smoking Causes Hair Loss?
- Does Whey Protein Cause Hair Loss?
- What is Minoxidil? How Does It Work for Hair Growth?
Disclaimer: The information provided on this page is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns about your health, please talk to a healthcare professional.