Hair loss, no matter what age is saddening! However, if it is in your teenage years, then it is embarrassing and frustrating. Hair loss is quite common these days and it is in fact something that causes stress. Natural hair shedding is common, but if you are facing extremely mass hair fall it is a point of concern. Hair fall can be caused due to our stressful lifestyle, lowering nutrition level in our diet, flawed genes and many other reasons, most of the teenage guys are facing the issue of hair fall. Also, if you catch the signs of hair loss early in your life, you are in a strong position to stop any further hair loss before it can happen. So here is all you need to know about the causes, prevention and treating hair loss in teenage guys! Read through:
Common Signs of Hair Loss in Teenage Guys
It is very rare to go completely bald as a teenager. However, there are signs that one may start noticing in the early stages or teenage years. These signs of male pattern baldness or extensive hair loss are as follows:
1. Changes in the Hairline
You may notice that over the period of few months, that you have consistent hair loss around your crown or temple. This severe hair loss could also be along or between your hair sectioning or partition in your scalp. This thinning can eventually lead to a ‘M’, ‘V’ or ‘U’ shaped hair thinning around the temple. So, this is the first sighting of hair loss that begins during the teenage years.
2. Hair Thinning on the Top of Your Head
You may notice the thickness of your hair deteriorating from the top of your head. This hair thinning from a certain patch of your scalp may eventually affect your crown and lead to a receding hair line.
3. Severe Hair Loss While Showering or Combing
In case you notice mass hair fall while you shampoo, shower or comb your hair, then it surely is something that may have extensive damage to your hair later. However, it is regular and quite normal to see about 100 hairs fall every day, but if it is more than that, then it is hair shedding which could be an early sign that you are starting to lose your hair.
Common Causes of Hair Loss for Teenage Guys
Hair loss for teenage guys can occur for a variety of reasons, from stress to illnesses and more. However, the majority of hair loss in teenage guys is the result of some of these below listed reasons:
1. DHT Levels
Very common in the teenage years is your body’s production of testosterone which increases rapidly. However, the small percentage of the testosterone that is supposed to be produced by your body later gets converted into DHT – a hormone called dihydrotestosterone well-known androgen hormone is testosterone.
This DHT during your teenage years is responsible for things like producing your facial hair, pubic hair and body hair or changing of voice. However, while DHT can promote the growth of hair on your body, it can also curb the receptors in the hair follicles on your scalp and cause hair loss. And since the levels of testosterone and DHT increase during the teenage years, you may notice the first signs of DHT-related hair damage in the form of thinning, shedding or a receding hairline.
The commonly prescribed medications for teenagers like those for treating acne, or antibiotics can tend to have an unpleasant side effect like hair loss. This type of hair loss is quite common amongst teens.
3. Alopecia areata
Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disorder. In this, the body attacks its own hair follicles. Alopecia areata is categorized by round bald patches on the scalp. Although it is quite rare and uncommon, but it still can happen to 1 in people who suffer at some point in their life.
4. Poor Eating Habits
Poor eating habits and junk food can have an adverse effect on your body. It is best to indulge in healthy foods that are rich in essential nutrients and vitamins that help in enhancing your overall health. Include foods that are high in protein, citrus, folic acid and vitamin B.
[ Read: Does Whey Protein Cause Hair Loss? ]
Stress has a huge negative impact on your body including on your hair. Yes, excessive stress leads to severe hair loss and even disrupts the growing phase of your hair cycle and even pushes the hair follicles into the resting phase. High stress levels have been directly correlated to hair loss.
One might wonder what stress for teenagers, but with physical and emotional changes of adolescence, plus school and work-related responsibilities can cause a lot of stress for teenagers. And unfortunately, this stress is a major contributing factor for hair thinning.
Your genetics play a key role in determining many changes in your body. And hair loss is one of them too. The hereditary-pattern baldness is a natural condition that occurs if the men in your family have a history of baldness or receding hairlines. In fact, pattern hair loss usually starts in adulthood or teenage years and in this, genetic plays a key role.
Various types of deficiencies are highly common when it comes to teenagers. Anemia or iron deficiency is the most common root of hair loss for teenage girls. Apart from that, nutritional deficiencies of vitamin C and vitamin D can also cause shedding and temporary hair loss.
Hormonal health issues like thyroid can lead to an underproduction or overproduction of thyroid hormones may cause hair loss or brittle hair. This usually appears as a uniform thinning across your scalp. teenagers usually develop thyroid issues as the puberty hits, and if not treated can cause a prolonged hair loss. Although lost hair often regrows with proper treatment.
How to Prevent Hair Loss for Teenage Guys?
While hair loss is common in teenage guys, there are a few ways with which you can surely prevent the severe hair loss. These ways are mentioned below:
1) Regular Massaging of Scalp
It is a known fact that massaging your scalp with lukewarm oil regularly will surely benefit your hair. Massaging your scalp improves blood circulation in the scalp and stimulates the hair follicles. This is also a great treatment for scalp infection and dandruff. Make it a regular practice to massage your scalp from your teenage years itself. You can massage with any of these oils for best results – almond oil, coconut oil or sesame oil. You can also mix coconut oil and almond oil to maximize the effect.
2) Use the Right Kind of Hair Products
Using the right kind of hair products formulated for your hair type is one key factor to make sure you do not witness hair loss. There are numerous products stacked on the hair care counter of the store, but not every product suits your hair type. Take time to read the labels and find shampoos and conditioners designed for your specific hair concerns and hair needs to make sure it pays off.
3) Having A Proper Balanced Diet
One of the basic yet important ways to treat hair loss, especially in the teenage years is to have a proper healthy diet. With guys growing, it is a must to include healthy food products that enhance their growth and help their overall health too. Improving your diet by adding food enriched with vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and nutrients may help prevent hair loss. It’s usually a good idea to get a blood test to check your vitamin deficiency, iron, zinc, and fatty acid levels. Lack of any of these could be linked to hair loss and brittleness.
Remember that there are multiple vitamins that play a key role in helping your hair grow and strengthen better. Vitamins like A, B7, B12, C, D and E, which is also referred to as biotin, all play important roles in hair health. In fact, vitamin A helps in faster hair growth. Also, vitamin D has proven to be very beneficial in helping strengthen your hair and creating new hair follicles. While B-complex vitamins contribute to hair density and quality of the hair shaft. Vitamins like C and E help in creating collagen, protect your hair against oxidative stress and help your body absorb hair-healthy iron. And iron, on the other hand, carried oxygen to the cells in your scalp; which is why its deficiency is a known cause of hair loss. The best way to ensure you get your vitamins and minerals is through a balanced diet. Add nutrient-rich foods such as fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean sources of protein.
4) Onion Juice
Onion juice is a home remedy that is highly beneficial in treating and preventing hair loss. The antibacterial properties of onion juice will fight the scalp infection while onion is rich in sulfur content. This helps in improving the circulation of blood to the scalp and stimulates hair follicles. Onion juice promotes healthy hair growth and controls hair fall.
How To Use Onion Juice?
- Grind a few onions in a mixer and squeeze out the juice.
- Now apply the juice to your scalp using a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes and then wash your hair with shampoo and use conditioner later.
- Do this once and week and you will soon see the difference.
5) Other Effective Home Remedies
- Amla or Indian Gooseberry is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C. Amla is an excellent home remedy for hair loss and has been considered so for many years now. Many people also prefer eating amla to make their hair stronger and healthy. However, you can also make a paste and apply it to your hair to prevent premature greying and to promote hair growth.
- Neem is the second and most highly trusted home remedy for hair growth and hair fall prevention. It has antibacterial properties and fights off scalp infections. Neem also helps your hair to grow stronger. You can make a paste from neem leaves and add in olive oil and honey. Apply this paste to your scalp and leave it for 20 minutes before washing it off.
- Coconut milk is rich in proteins, minerals and essential fats. It promises to reduce hair fall and promotes hair growth. Coconut milk makes your hair healthier and reduces breakage of hair. The coconut milk will leave your hair healthier and shiny. It also has antibacterial properties and will protect against any hair damage. To use it, you can take 1 cup of coconut milk and massage it into your scalp and work it down to your tips. Leave it on for around 20 minutes and then wash it off with cold water and a mild shampoo.
- Aloe vera gel is highly beneficial for your skin as well as your hair. Applying it on your scalp will treat all infections and dryness. It can be mixed with coconut oil for more effective results.
- Garlic can be considered as a miracle food when it comes to your hair. It is one of the best home remedies for hair fall. Rich in zinc and calcium, garlic juice is sure to make your hair healthy and prevent hair fall. To make the garlic juice, you need to extract the garlic juice and apply it to the scalp using a cotton ball. Leave it on your scalp overnight and then wash it off the next morning using a mild shampoo.
- Fenugreek seeds are highly beneficial for hair fall control. It contains vitamin C, A and K, potassium, calcium, folic acid and nicotinic acid. Fenugreek seeds prevent hair fall and support scalp health. To use, you can soak some fenugreek seeds overnight and make a paste of it and mix it with some curd. Apply this pack at least 30 minutes before you wash your hair. You can also include fenugreek in your diet for healthy hair growth.
6) Keep Control Over Dandruff
Dandruff not only makes your scalp itchy and oily but also causes severe hair fall. So, it is important to keep dandruff in check and keep your scalp clean by regularly washing and cleaning it properly.
Recommended Hair Care Products
There are many hair care products available in the market. These hair care products include hair loss prevention shampoo, serums and even oils. These help to stimulate growth and protect your hair from causing severe breakage and fall. If you are looking for the best product to prevent hair loss for teenage guys, then these products listed below are the top-notch ones on the market:
The For Men Hair Growth Serum is a highly potent and multifunctional hair growth serum that is sure to give you visible results! This super potent, hair growth serum is enriched with Redensyl, Procapil, Kopexil, Biotinoyl Tripeptide -1, Caffeine, Saw Palmetto, and Follicusan. It helps in making your hair regrow stronger, stimulates the hair follicles and even reduces hair fall. It is further powered with Pyridoxine and Biotinoyl Tripeptide – 1 which helps in reversing the natural aging process of hair follicles. In fact, to boost the hair growth further, the formula has Amla (Emblica Officinalis), Bhringaraja (Eclipta Alba), Hibiscus sabdariffa and Saw Palmetto extract.
The For Men Minoxidil Topical Solution USP 5% for Hair Growth is going to be no less than a boon for your hair! The formula is enriched with minoxidil which makes this product a prescription-based vasodilator solution. It promises to control the hair fall while boosting healthy hair regrowth. With consistent use, you are sure to experience a noticeable result! In fact, minoxidil is known for its ability to widen the blood vessels and open the potassium channels. This helps provide oxygen, blood, and nutrients to the hair follicles. It thus ensures that your hair cells do not get disrupted and promotes healthy hair growth.
Try the For Men Hair Growth Shampoo to give your hair a healthy and damage-free experience. This formula is multi-functional and is enriched with Caffeine, Biotinoyl Tripeptide -1, Ceramides, water cress, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera and Argan oil. The shampoo also contains Aloe Vera, Water cress and Indian cress extracts which altogether helps in stimulating and prolonging hair growth phase and strengthens the hair from the roots.
While hair fall is somewhat common in teenage guys, it is best to know how to prevent and treat it. While the market is filled with hair growth products, these ways of preventing hair fall mentioned above are sure to help you in multiple ways. try the home remedies and focus on keeping your stress level low. Depending on your age and the severity of your hair loss, you may be able to use medications, hair care products or a combination of both to stop your hair loss and maintain your hair as you grow older. If none of these ways help you to curb or stop hair fall, it is best to then consult a dermatologist or a doctor to check for any underlying health concerns.
Also Read the Articles:
- 8 Amazing Benefits of Fenugreek for Healthy Hair
- Ketoconazole Shampoo for Hair Loss
- How to Grow Hair Faster for Men: Facts & Myths
- 6 Best DHT Blocking Oils and 5 Vitamins & Supplements for Hair Loss