Talk of skincare, and almost instantly, we presume it is for women. Well, this is not true! Daily skincare for men is important. One of the first things that dermatologists recommend, both men and women, is to never step out in the sun without applying adequate sunscreen. Sunscreen is vital for your skin as it protects your skin from the sun’s harmful radiation. It’s not very convenient to lather your face & body with sunscreen, every time you go out and the protective effects of sunscreen lotions also last for very less time. Do we have a choice?
Why do Men Need Skin Protection?
It is very common to presume that men have strong, tough, more resistant skin and hence, do not need any form of skin protection. This is a popular skincare myth just like popular beliefs surrounding men’s health problems.
Men have a similar skin structure as women and a similar risk for skin damage too. Some types of sun rays can damage your skin’s outermost layer called the epidermis. Prolonged exposure to the sun’s rays results in increased production of melatonin, breaking of fine capillaries and increased incidence of wrinkles.
How to Choose the Best Skin Protector for Men?
If you are looking for the best skin protectors, here is a quick guide on how to pick the best skin protector for daily skincare for men:
- If you are confused about whether to pick sunscreen or sunblock, it does not matter! Both of them work to protect your skin.
- Always pick a skin protector with an SPF of over 15.
- The lighter your skin, the higher your sunscreen SPF must be.
- Pick a sunscreen/sunblock that protects you from both UVA and UVB rays.
- Most sunscreens contain PABA, a chemical that may cause allergies. So pick a sunscreen that is PABA-free.
- Skin protectors are available in various forms –creams, gels, lotions, ointments, and even sprays. All of them are equally effective and you can pick the one you want.
- Unsure about cost? It does not matter! The cost of the skin protector should not matter. Pick one that fulfils all your other criteria.
- There are some powerful UV ray protecting natural substances like Resveratrol and Grape seed extracts, that when consumed orally protect the skin from UV rays and pollutants from within. Ex- Skin+ Gummies of ForMen
7 Best Natural Ingredients to Protect Skin for Men in India
Store-bought skin protectors and sunscreens available today are of great quality. More and more people are looking for skin protectors made from natural ingredients like sandalwood, sunflower oil, sesame oil, saffron and vitamin E, among others.
Looking to add all-natural skin protectors to daily skincare for men in India? Here are a few of them you can try:
1. Resveratrol & Grape Seed Extracts
These two powerhouse ingredients, when taken orally help protect from damage by UV rays & pollutants. They are both plant compounds that fight against the damage caused to skin cells by free radicals. They help in anti-ageing, anti-pigmentation and delay wrinkles.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a known SPF blocker and is known to block as much as 20% of the sun’s rays. Applying coconut oil while soaking some sun can help you prevent tan, moisturizes skin, reduces inflammation and smoothies out blemishes.
3. Sesame Oil
Sesame oil is a known sun protector and protects your skin from nearly 30% of the sun’s harmful rays. Apart from the skin protecting effect of sesame oil, it moisturizes skin, and also allows you to stay longer in the sun.
4. Freshly Extracted Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera is a skin coolant and helps soothe sunburn. While these effects are observed after sun exposure, applying aloe vera gel before heading out into the sun helps to block 20% of sunlight.
5. Shea Butter
Shea butter is an effective skin moisturizer rich in vitamin A and E. Shea butter is also rich in antioxidants that protect your skin from free radical damage, especially what is linked to sun damage. Apply a thick layer of shea butter to prevent your skin from burning in the sun!
6. Almond and Olive Oil
Almond and olive oils are known to be great for the skin. Though they are commonly used in kitchens for food preparation, they are great for skin health too. Almond and olive oils are both rich in vitamin E, making them great for your skin. Due to their sun-protective properties, combining almond and olive oil make for a great sunscreen property.
Did you know that olive oil has the highest SPF among all herbal oils? Well, you can add zinc oxide to this combination to make an even powerful natural sunscreen.
7. Carrot Seed Oil
Carrot seed oil is a lesser-known skin protector but you’ll be surprised to know that it boasts of the same protection as a sunscreen having 38-40 SPF. The carrot seed oil also has strong antioxidant properties that help your skin cells recover.
Taking care of your skin for men is essential, especially those who spend a significant part of their day outdoors. While there are tons of skin protectors available for men today, it is important to take natural Skin protectors and nourishing nutrients from within. All creams, serums and lotions are only skin deep and will not work if the skin is not nourished from within.
If you are looking for nourishing skin protectors, Skin+ Gummies of ForMen are best suited for you. So, what are you waiting for? Shop Now!
Also Read the Related Articles:
- Follow These Top 9 Skin Care Tips in Summer (Mainly for Men)
- Does Stress Really Cause Hair Loss? – Interesting Facts!