Hair fall is one of the common problems that most men face. While there are various ways and products that help in curbing and effectively stopping hair fall, nothing beats the Ayurvedic Jatamansi. It is one of the best herbs from the pristine Himalayas that is known to effectively help in enhancing hair quality while boosting healthy hair growth. The Jatamansi herb is available in the market in the form of roots, powder and oil. Here is everything that you need to know about this magical and cost-effective Ayurvedic herb – Jatamansi.
History of Jatamansi
Jatamansi is a flowering herb that belongs to the family Valerianaceae. The scientific name of this rhizomatous perennial herb is Nardostachys Jatamansi. It is also known as Muskroot, Nard, Nardin or Spikenard. This Ayurvedic herb is found amidst the moist, steep, rocky, undisturbed grassy slopes of the Himalayan ranges. Jatamansi is widely distributed in high altitudes regions and elevated ranges of India, Nepal, Pakistan, Bhutan, Myanmar and Southeast China.
Jatamansi can grow up to a height of 1 meter, while in their early stages the flowers of this plant look bell-shaped and are pink in color. In Ayurveda, Jatamansi is a dwarf, perennial, hairy, herbaceous and endangered plant species with numerous health benefits. From being a brain tonic to help memory and brain functioning to having antioxidant properties – Jatamansi is packed with it all!
Jatamansi has a rich history of medicinal use. It has been highly valued for centuries in Ayurvedic and Unani (ancient Greco-Arab) medicines. In Ayurvedic medicine, Jatamansi is used as a bitter tonic, or as an antispasmodic, stimulant to treat hysteria, convulsions, and epilepsy. And, the root of this herb has been also medically used to treat insomnia and blood, circulatory, and mental disorders. Whereas, in the Unani system of medicine, the formulated preparations of Jatamansi are used as an analgesic, heptatonic, cardiotonic and diuretic.
What is Jatamansi Powder Used for?
The powder of Jatamansi is made after drying its roots and is further crushed to make Jatamansi powder. This powder form of Jatamansi is used in multiple ways to tackle various concerns and diseases. It can be applied to your skin to fight bacterial infection with its antifungal and antioxidant properties. Jatamansi powder also helps in eliminating odor, has anti-inflammatory, laxative, sleep-inducing properties while also being good for the uterus among others.
Jatamansi powder is also an effective option to treat constipation along with other digestive concerns. In ancient times, Jatamansi powder was used primarily for maintaining the health and functionality of the female reproductive organs. According to Ayurveda, Jatamansi promotes wound healing due to its Ropan (healing) property and also helps in preventing wrinkles due to its Snigdha (oily) nature.
Benefits of Jatamansi
When it comes to overall Jatamansi benefits for hair as well as for your body, we have listed a few below:
- Primarily, Jatamansi is highly popular and often used in modern medicine for neurological and cognitive function aids.
- It is widely used to cure various disorders of the digestive system, circulatory system, reproductive system, urinary system, respiratory system, nervous system and skin diseases.
- Jatamansi is known to relieve various symptoms of seizures and vertigo in fever.
- The formulated version of Jatamansi for hair is used in the form of oil, which is useful to achieve silky, smooth, and healthy hair.
- Jatamansi is also used to help cure insomnia, heart diseases, mental disorder and hypertension.
- Jatamansi has therapeutic activities like antifungal, antimicrobial, antioxidant, hepatoprotective properties.
- The oil of Jatamansi helps in soothing antiarrhythmic and anticonvulsant activity and is also used as a flavoring agent in the preparation of medicinal oil.
- It also helps in increasing one’s appetite.
- It is useful in the management of hepatitis and enlargement of the liver.
- Jatamansi also eliminates the phlegm caused due to asthma and cough.
- It has preventive properties from cerebral ischemia, epilepsy, and even liver damage.
- It helps in soothing scorpion stings.
Is Jatamansi Good for Hair?
Yes, Jatamansi benefits for hair are numerous! Listed below are a few of Jatamansi’s benefits for hair –
- Jatamansi helps in making your hair follicles stronger and healthier.
- It helps in restoring your hair from the rest phase of the hair growth cycle.
- It boosts faster hair growth.
- It extends the growing phase (Anagen) of the hair cycle.
- Jatamansi for grey hair is a boon, as it imparts black color to your hair.
- It strengthens and makes your hair silky, smooth and shiny.
- It boosts hair volume and makes them thick.
- Jatamansi also works effectively in preventing Male Pattern Baldness (MPB), Traction Alopecia, receding hairline, dandruff, hair loss due to scalp infection, and much more.
Jatamansi for Hair Growth
As per Ayurveda, Jatamansi for hair growth is a perfect remedy! It has Ayurvedic properties which can balance the three doshas in the body Vata, Pitta and Kapha dosha. It works wonders, especially in re-balancing Pitta and Kapha which often leads to hair disorders. The hair fall is usually caused due to an aggravated Vata dosha in the body So, Jatamansi oil extract helps in balancing the Tridosha – Vata, Pitta and Kapha dosha.
It controls hair fall and promotes hair growth when generously applied to the scalp. Jatamansi benefits also include eradicating excessive dryness on the scalp with its Snigdha (oily) and Ropan (healing) properties. With regular hair oiling with Jatamansi oil, you may also notice a reduction in dandruff and split ends. Apart from oil extract, Jatamansi powder also helps in eliminating hair concerns and boosts hair growth. It makes your hair silky and smooth by eliminating the roughness, dryness and brittle ends.
When combined with other hair enrichment herbs such as Bhringraj, Brahmi or Amla, Jatamansi shows effective and efficient results. Using Jatamansi in any form can bring a noticeable change to your hair. It darkens the grey hair as it contains a few active constituent chemicals that are natural dyeing agents. Apart from enhancing your hair quality and texture, most often Jatamansi is prescribed for those tackling with premature greying.
Jatamansi Oil for Hair Growth – Other Benefits
Applying oil of Jatamansi for hair prevents pre-mature greying and prevents scalp issues due to its antifungal and antioxidant activities. Jatamansi benefits for hair also include healthy growth as it helps to increase the hair follicular size and helps to lengthen the growth phase of hair. Applying Jatamansi oil helps to promote stronger hair growth while making them extremely smooth and silky.
Apart from Jatamansi benefits for hair, it also works as an optimum solution for skincare issues. It has protective properties that help in tackling skin concerns caused due to pollution and environmental aggressors. It effectively treats fungal infections, breakouts, skin itchiness, scaling and even psoriasis.
Jatamansi essential oil has a nerve relaxing smell that is extracted from a few stem parts of this herb that grows below the ground. It has a very soothing and calming effect that helps in hypertension or anxiety and works great as a stress reliever.
How to Use Jatamansi for Hair?
A powder is prepared from the dried Jatamansi roots and it can be consumed daily with honey or water. The Jatamansi powder can also be turned into a paste with the help of coconut oil or neem oil.
Here are a few ways that you can use the Jatamansi for hair:
- Regular application and massaging of Jatamansi hair oil can help in preventing premature greying. It also helps in darkening the hair and can be used as a natural dye.
- Mix Jatamansi powder with the oil of your choice to make it into a thick paste and apply it on the scalp to promote hair growth and reduced bald patches.
- Jatamansi powder mixed with coconut oil helps in nourishing and moisturizing the hair and reduces excess sebum oil.
- Applying a mixture of Jatamansi oil with coconut or sesame oil on the scalp helps in promoting shiny, silky and smooth hair with healthy hair growth.
- Castor oil mixed with Jatamansi oil deeply nourishes your hair and strengthens it.
There are a plethora of products that help in dealing with hair concerns. But when it comes to Jatamansi for hair, it is one of the most effective and reliable options. However, this Ayurvedically-approved herb has become difficult to obtain in its natural form as it has been pushed towards endangerment. Still, there are abundant products that have Jatamansi in various forms of bottled oils, powders, paste and even as orally-prescribed medications. You can pick any of these forms to tackle with your hair concerns. All the above-mentioned benefits and medicinal properties of Jatamansi for hair are sure to help you in more than one way!
Q: Are there any side effects of using Jatamansi on your hair?
A: No, there are no reports of any side effects of using Jatamansi in the form of oil, powder or paste when used externally on your scalp and hair.
Q: Does Jatamansi help in regrowing hair?
A: Yes, Jatamansi has hair growth properties and it also helps in hair growth in alopecia caused by chemotherapy.
Also Read the Related Articles
- 10 Best Ayurvedic Herbs for Hair Growth and Thickness
- 6 Best Vitamins and 5 Amazing Minerals Required for Men’s Daily Life
- How Stress Causes Hair Fall?