Most common sexual performance problem in men of all ages and especially with aging is erectile dysfunction (ED).
What is ED?
Inability to get an erection (i.e. hardness/firmness of the penis) and sustaining the erection for sexual activity or sexual intercourse in men, is referred to as ED. In other words, ED is a condition where a man has difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection that is sufficient for sexual intercourse. ED can be caused by a variety of factors, both physical and psychological.
Before going dive deep into the main causes of ED, let's first see how can we come to know about ED i.e. what are the main symptoms of ED.
Symptoms of ED
- The person does not get erections at all at any time and the penis is flaccid/soft/limp all the time.
- Unable to get erections when wanting to perform sexual intercourse.
- Inability to sustain the erection for some time as to take part in sexual intercourse.
- May be associated with psychological symptoms such as low libido, lack of interest in sexual functions, depression/anxiety, low self-esteem, lack of sleep, irritability, and developing suicidal thoughts.
- Can have associated symptoms related to co-existing medical and surgical conditions.
Causes of ED Problems
ED problems/dysfunction can be caused by many factors like:
- Vascular (problems of Blood vessels)
- Neurogenic (problems of nerves)
Now, let's discuss each cause separately in detailed.
1. Vascular (Blood Vessel Problems)
Erection problems occur due to decreased blood flow to the penis because of problems affecting the blood vessels.
- Heart disease
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic liver disease
2. Neurogenic (Nerves Problems)
Causes due to problems arising from the Brain, nervous system, Spinal cord and the nerves supplying the penis .
- Cerebrovascular disease – STROKE
- Type 2 Diabetes with polyneuropathy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Epilepsy/seizure disorder
- Parkinson’s disease
Causes are due to hormonal imbalances which affect penile function.
- Low testosterone level
- High prolactin level
- Low thyroid hormone level
- Abnormal hormone levels in diseases like Diabetes, adrenal glands disorders, chronic kidney or liver diseases.
- Low sex drive
- Fear of sexual performance
- Low self-esteem / Low confidence
- Guilt and fear of rejection
- Overweight / Obesity and unhealthy lifestyle
- Sedentary life – Lack of exercise
- Habits like smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, drug abuse
- Lack of proper sleep
How to Protect Your Erection?
Many treatments are available for correcting ED and to protect your erection depending on the causes.
1. Drugs / Medicines / Pills – which act directly on the male sex organ penis.
- PDE-5 (Phosphodiesterase-5) inhibitors – such as Sildenafil, Tadalafil, Vardenafil, and Avanafil.
- They act by improving the blood flow to the penis giving it firmness and the ability to stay hard longer.
- These medications to be taken after a doctor’s consultation as medical evaluation can be done before using them. Be aware of the possible side effects before consuming them.
- They have to be taken 30mts-60mts before the sexual activity.
2. Medications for the various underlying medical disorders need to be taken, ex- medicines for Diabetes, High Blood pressure etc.
3. Surgery –
- Vascular surgeries to correct the problems due to blood vessels to improve blood flow to penis.
- Any other required surgeries for underlying problems.
- Penile implants who have no option of medical interventions.
4. Psychological counseling is the most important part of any treatment for Erectile Dysfunction, as it can relax the mind and overcome the uncomfortable symptom, remove anxiety and help give men self-confidence.
Natural Ways (Home Remedies) to Overcome Erectile Dysfunction Issues
Regular yoga can relax the body and mind reducing stress and increasing the good hormones.
2. Eat Healthy Diet:
Eating a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains can help improve overall health and reduce the risk of ED.
3. Exercise Regularly:
Regular exercise can help improve blood flow and circulation, which can help maintain a healthy erection.
4. Get Enough Sleep:
Good sleep for 7-8 hr. every night is essential to relax the body and mind and improve sexual function.
5. Quit Smoking:
Smoking can damage blood vessels and reduce blood flow, which can contribute to ED.
6. Limit Alcohol Consumption:
Drinking alcohol in moderation is okay, but excessive alcohol consumption can lead to ED.
7. Manage Stress:
High levels of stress and anxiety can contribute to ED. Find ways to manage stress, such as through exercise, meditation, or counseling.
8. Weight Loss:
Weight Loss for overweight and obese people helps to improve sexual function and renders a feeling of well being.
Natural Herbs / Extracts and Minerals Which Aid in Erectile Problems
Natural herbs act via many mechanisms and few herbs have been clinically proven to be of use in erectile problems. Some herbs help increase the blood flow to the male sex organs and also act like aphrodisiacs improving the sexual functions.
Some of the herbs and minerals known to improve sexual health are Ashwagandha, Ginko Biloba, Shatavari, Safed musli, Gokshura, Tulasi beej, Zinc, magnesium, Vit D3 etc. Bio enhancers like bioprene must also be taken along with the herbs and minerals in order to have an effective absorption across the intestinal wall.
There will not be any effect if most of the vitamins, minerals and herbs get excreted without being absorbed.
It is idea to consult a doctor for moderate to severe problem or if associated with other significant medical issues.
Also Watch the Following Video: