What Is Ginkgo Biloba?
Ginkgo is a large tree with fan-shaped leaves. The ginkgo tree is thought to be one of the oldest living trees, dating back to more than 200 million years. The list of other benefits of ginkgo is very long. This may be because this herb has been around for so long.
Ginkgo biloba is one of the longest living tree species in the world. Ginkgo trees can live for almost a thousand years.
What Are the Sources of Ginkgo Biloba?
Ginkgo leaf extract is likely safe for most people when taken orally in appropriate doses. Intravenous uses of Ginkgo Biloba injectables were found to be more useful in treating chronic heart diseases and stroke-related disorders.
On prolonging usage it may cause some minor side effects. It is always advised to consult your healthcare provider before using any product for a long time.
Does Ginkgo Biloba Help in Treating Other Health Conditions?
- Ginkgo Biloba seems to improve blood circulation, which might help the brain, eyes, ears, and legs function better. It may act as an antioxidant to slow down Alzheimer’s disease and interfere with changes in the brain that might cause problems with thinking.
- Ginkgo Biloba extract was shown to be effective in improving the symptoms of dementia. The Flavonoids inactivate toxic free radicals, and terpenoids act by improving the blood flow to the brain, thereby providing neuroprotection to the brain.
- Ginkgo Biloba seeds contain substances that might kill the bacteria and fungi that cause infections in the body. The seeds also contain a toxin that can cause serious side effects like seizures and loss of consciousness. Ginkgo Biloba leaf is often taken by mouth for memory for most of the conditions.
What are Ginko Biloba Health Benefits?
Ginkgo Biloba has many pharmacological benefits for men such as:
- Enhance sexual wellbeing and function
- Contains Powerful Antioxidants
- Can Help Fight Inflammation
- Improves Circulation and Heart Health
- Reduces Symptoms of Psychiatric Disorders and Dementia
- Improves Brain Function and Well-Being
- Can Reduce Anxiety
- Can Treat Depression
- Can Support Vision and Eye Health
- Can Treat Headaches and Migraines
- Can Improve Asthma and COPD Symptoms
- Reduces premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms in females
In What Forms Ginkgo Biloba Is Available?
Ginkgo biloba is commercially available in the following forms:
- Liquid extracts
- Dried leaves/tea
What Are the Side Effects of Ginkgo Biloba?
For most adults, the risk associated with taking ginkgo Biloba is relatively low, but there are cases in which ginkgo could cause serious harm. If you are allergic to plants that contain alkylphenols or taking certain medications, you should not take Ginkgo Biloba.
Possible side effects, especially if taken in larger quantities include:
- Stomach pain
- Rash/allergic reaction
Does Ginkgo Biloba Interact with Other Drugs?
Ginkgo Biloba is a widely used drug for various disorders such as (ED) sexual dysfunction, cardiovascular complications, central nervous system disorders ETC.
As it contains many bio alkaloids, and volatile oil extracts hence chances of interaction are greater if taken in higher doses for a longer time than prescribed. Please consult your health expert for any clarification regarding dose duration and side effects.
- Ibuprofen interacts Ginkgo Biloba: Ginkgo Biloba can slow blood clotting. Ibuprofen which is commonly used as a pain killer can also slow blood clotting. Taking ginkgo with ibuprofen can slow blood clotting too much and increase the chance of bruising and bleeding.
- Warfarin interacts with Ginkgo Biloba: Warfarin is used to slow blood clotting. Ginkgo Biloba might also slow blood clotting. Taking Ginkgo Biloba along with warfarin might increase the chances of bruising and bleeding. Be sure to have your blood investigations done regularly. The dose of your warfarin might need to be changed.
- Alprazolam interacts with Ginkgo Biloba: Alprazolam is one of the commonly used depressants it is used to reduce anxiety and induce sleep. Taking Ginkgo Biloba along with alprazolam might decrease the effects of alprazolam.
- Buspirone interacts with Ginkgo Biloba: Ginkgo Biloba effects on the central nervous system. One can feel hyper and overexcited after taking Ginkgo Biloba, buspirone together for long time.
- Efavirenz interacts with Ginkgo Biloba: Efavirenz is used to treat HIV infection. Taking efavirenz for long time with Ginkgo Biloba extract might decrease the effects of efavirenz. Before taking Ginkgo Biloba, talk to your healthcare provider if you take medications for HIV.
- Hydrochlorothiazide interacts with Ginkgo Biloba: Hydrochlorothiazide is a loop diuretic used to remove excess fluid and electrolytes from the body which decreases swelling and controls blood pressure. Taking hydrochlorothiazide along with Ginkgo Biloba in higher doses for long time might increase blood pressure. Before taking ginkgo talk to your healthcare professional if you take medications for high blood pressure.
- Omeprazole interacts with Ginkgo Biloba: Omeprazole is a commonly used antacid which is metabolized by the liver. Ginkgo Biloba might excessive breakdown of omeprazole. Taking Ginkgo Biloba with omeprazole might decrease effect of Omeprazole.
What Are the Dosage Regimens of Ginkgo Biloba?
Ginkgo Biloba has many benefits due to which doses may vary from one to another condition. Below are few common uses and the Ginkgo biloba dosage chart.
|Sl. No||Disease||Loading Dose||Maintenance Dose||Timing||Route||Duration of Treatment|
|1||Generalised Anxiety||160 mg||80 mg||Twice daily||Per oral||4 weeks|
|2||Alzheimer disease||60-480 mg||120-240 mg||Twice daily||Per oral||More tdan 6 montds|
|3||Vertigo||160 mg||80-160 mg||Thrice daily||Per oral||3 Months|
|4||Premenstrual syndrome||80 mg||40 mg||Thrice daily||Per oral||Starting on the sixteenth day of the menstrual cycle until the fifth day of the next cycle|
|5||Schizophrenia||360 mg||120-360 mg||Twice daily||Per oral||8-16 weeks|
|6||High blood pressure||40-ml of injectable combination||15-40 mg/ml of injectable combination||Once daily||Intra venous||4 weeks|
|7||Stroke||20-40 ml of stat dose in an injectable combination||10-40 mg/ml of stat dose injectable combination||Once daily||Intra venous||14-30 Days|
How Does Perform+ Offer Ginkgo Biloba?
Perform+, the product of ‘Formen’ contains Ginkgo Biloba leaf extract with 24% Ginkgosides, mainly flavonoids (glycosides) and terpenoids (ginkgolide, bilobalide), clinically known to improve penile rigidity and enhance arterial blood flow to gonads and may help to maintain a penile erection during sexual intercourse.
Multiple studies have shown improvement in spontaneous erections with improved penile flow rates and rigidity after 6 months of treatment with Ginkgo Biloba.